First off, a thank you to those leaders who have stepped up to lead a hike this fall . Last Friday hikers enjoyed hikes at Royal Roads and Partridge Hills. This Friday Mike and Mary will be leading the Three Metchosin Parks hike and Rhoda will be leading an alternate hike to Eagle Bluffs – see details below for both hikes. The weather forecast is for some rain Friday so dress appropriately.
– The Eagle Bluffs hike start time is 8:30 am at the trailhead.
– Both hikes:
— Due to the weather forecast there is a chance that the hikes could be changed/cancelled. I will send out an update by 8:00 am Friday one way or the other.
— Please confirm your intended participation by this evening or by 7:45 am Friday morning.
Note: confirm your participation to myself and the hike leader and look for any updates prior to the hike.
We are still looking for leaders for November 5th and 12th – please take a look and consider signing-up.
If you are attending “reply to all” to let us know if you will be joining and which hike (see sign-up procedure Note below).
The plan for Friday is a hike to Eagle Bluffs in the Sooke Wilderness Park. Duration approx. 4 1/2 – 5 hours. Parking is at the Sooke Wilderness Regional Park lot on Sooke Road, approx. 3.5 km. from Westshore Parkway/ Sooke Road intersection. Good boots and poles, rain gear recommended. Bring a lunch and snack. Please contact me directly if you would like to join us. Rain is forecast for Friday so we may have to cancel, in which case we’ll let hikers know by 7:00am on Friday.Phone 250 6557226 or 778 email@example.comThanks, Rhoda
Metchosin Wilderness Park / Buckbrush Swamp Park / Eleanor Mann Park.
Mike and Mary will be leading the Regular Hike this Friday, Oct. 15th to Metchosin Wilderness Park / Buckbrush Swamp Park / Eleanor Mann Park.
This will be a 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 hour loop hike, 6.7 km, 250m vertical, moderate intensity and pace. (See attached map for hike route)
There are some exposed roots and some rougher trail sections in spots.
It is supposed to be cool and wet, so dress accordingly, bring a light snack, some water and poles if desired.
If it is too wet we can make the hike a bit shorter and head for coffee early.
Meet at the trailhead for a 9:30 a.m. start and let me know in advance if you change your mind about coming, or if you are going to be late.
Directions: Sooke Road, left on Metchosin Rd., right on Happy Valley Rd., left on Rocky Point Rd. Once on Rocky Point Rd. drive for 3.5 km then turn right on Clapham Drive & go another 0.5 km and park.
We hope to see you out there!
mobile: 250-858-4801 (call or text)
Scheduling + Hike Notification Procedures
– hike schedule – see attached
– if there is nothing on the schedule for the coming week, I will send out an email on Sunday asking for a volunteer to lead.
– hike notification will be sent out Wednesday evenings
– hikers must be a current member and fully (2X) vaccinated – this is CB55+ policy
– meet at trailhead Fridays at 9:30 am unless otherwise indicated for a particular hike
– arrange your own ride sharing
– must advance sign-up to participate by reply to all (me and hike leader) and include mobile # in case we need to contact you the morning of the hike
– observe Hikers + Hike Leaders Responsibilities (attached)
– send hike details + directions to trailhead/parking, etc and mobile # to coordinator by Wednesday afternoon
– see attached Hike Leader Responsibilities – don’t forget coffee location
– A regular hike should be approximately 2 – 3 hours
CB55+ HIKE SCHED Sept – Dec 2021
CB55+Hike Leaders’ Resposibilities.
Hike List 2019
Monkey Puzzle Tree
Saw this humorous site on Chalet Rd in Deep Cove while walking this smoky Friday morning. Beautiful monkey tree adorned with a variety of stuffed monkeys ?
Here’s a photo of our group last Friday. Left to Right, Lorraine, Kerrie, Margret, Bob and John.We hiked Craigflower Creek into Thetis Lake up to the view point overlooking the lake then along the Lewis Clark Trail. Much nicer weather than the previous week. We then stopped for coffee at the Nest Café, they are set up for takeout only, but have outdoor seating below the parking area.
Fridays hike with Mike and Mary through old royal oak golf course and beyond!
A lovely Friday ramble with Bob and Duana McHugh – these colourful fungi growing on a stump alongside trail through the old Royal Oak Golf Course. Trails link to Beaver Lake and can be accessed behind Commonwealth Rec Centre.