CB55 Plus has a member recommended list of “Trusted Trades” for the benefit of the membership. The list of Trusted trades was distributed to members and is available in the Centre. During the closure of the Centre due to COVID-19, the list may be accessed upon request by email or telephone message to the Centre. Note that messages are accessed regularly.
TIPS FOR HIRING TRADES
Choosing a contractor/tradesperson
1. Obtain a written quote that includes products, materials, labour cost and timetable
2. Request references of recent projects of similar size and scope
3. Request credentials, including WorksafeBC and licenses
4. Request written proof of Liability Insurance
5. Check history with BBB
Before proceeding with chosen contractor/trade:
1. Obtain a written contract, at this time it is important determine who will pay for any materials required in advance
2. If you need to make changes after the project commences, obtain a written “Change Order” that includes costs and any change to the
3. Give contractor/tradeperson guidelines for working around your home and family;
a. Find out who will be doing the work, do not proceed with an individual that makes you feel uncomfortable
b. Start and finish times
c. Family pets
d. Will the project affect your neighbours or their property
e. Other trades who may be working on the project/property
1. Payment terms should be decided before work commences
2. It is not a good practice to pay cash as it cannot be traced.
3. A significant portion of the cost of the project should be held back until the work has been completed to your satisfaction.
Cordova Bay 55+ organization has not vetted or otherwise assessed any of these referrals from our members and assumes no responsibility for their use. The member referrals shown here are indicative of overall satisfaction with the tradesperson based on their timeliness, quality of job done, overall cost and personal interaction. It is not an endorsement of the trade person’s qualifications, licensing, insurance coverage, WorksafeBC status, or their adherence to required codes, practices or permit requirements, as may pertain to your project. We recommend that you do your own due diligence prior to engaging any tradesperson. We have provided some tips and useful web-site links for your review.