The Centre re-opens Tuesday, October 13 – Welcome back!
Plans are in place to allow us to open the Centre in mid-October to resume those activities that can be accommodated under COVID restrictions. While we will not be holding any large gatherings or activities that require close groups, we will be able to get together and socialize again in smaller group activities while following social distancing and other Public Health requirements.
Hours of Operation: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
CB55+ Office Hours: 9:00 am – 12:00 pm (Temporarily)
NOTE: Please do not park in the school parking lot on Cordova Bay Rd. Use the parking lot off Sapphire St. or park on the street. Enter by the SE door (by the washrooms) unless you require the ramp in front of the school for access.
Covid-19 Restart Rules are posted throughout the Centre, and must be followed.
1) Use sanitizer upon entering the Centre.
2) Sign name when you enter.
3) Keep physical distance of 2 metres as much as possible.
4) Wear a mask when entering and moving about the Centre.
5) Respect room capacity numbers and don’t linger in the hallway.
For information regarding scheduled Activities please see the Fall edition of the Blue Heron News by clicking on the Blue Heron News tab above.
The CB55 Plus Centre remains closed until further notice.
Given our demographic being a higher risk and the guidelines for group gatherings and physical distancing (“groups of around 2 to 6 and preferably outdoors”) there are no plans to open the Centre at this time. The Board continues to be in contact and will monitor and follow the Government and Public Health directives and guidelines and keep you informed of any changes.
While we will continue to miss socializing together at the Centre and within our groups, there may be other ways to carry on some of our activities and stay connected via videoconferencing and small groups outdoors. Please check out the Groups tab above and the News section of the Summer edition of the Blue Heron News for updates on what groups are doing. Thank you to Brenda Hurd and Judy Burgoyne for their ongoing work in producing the newsletter.
I hope you are enjoying the Weekly Update conceived to keep us connected. Thank you to Sue Jergens, Jan Grewar and Patricia Huston for the fine job they are doing on putting this together.
We have added two new tabs on the CB55+ website: “Weekly Updates” to enable you to easily access the Updates and any links they contain, and “Member Contributions”. The Member Contributions tab are where we will place member submissions to share with other members. There are member’s short stories, poems and pictures for you to enjoy. We invite you to send along something that you would like to share, e.g. your stories, poems or other creations. Send your submissions to one of the Communications Team listed in the Weekly Updates. Thank you to David Squance for keeping our website updated.
In response to recent announcements regarding COVID-19 from Saanich Recreation and Public Health agencies, CB55+ is temporarily cancelling all Activities and closing the Centre as of today, March 18, until further notice.
AS A RESULT THE AGM SCHEDULED FOR MARCH 31 IS POSTPONED.
It’s important to be aware of our vulnerable members and to reach out to them with offers of support where possible. We will miss seeing each other but know that we will keep in contact with one another by phone and email to offer each other support as we go through this.
Public Heath experts say social distancing is not an over-reaction, especially within our demographic.
Keep healthy and stay safe.
For COVID-19 information please refer to the Island Heath information link below and the attached Patient Handout.
- Kitchen Services including Wednesday lunches.
- Refunds for tickets already purchased will be refunded at the office.
- Note: Coffee and Tea will be available in the lounge from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.
- Tuesday Drop-In
- ON THE GO AGAIN – Bobbi and Gwen will contact members
Other Activities will continue under review until further notice. Activity leaders may communicate with you directly with updates regarding Activity changes. Let’s remember we are a social organization and as such we will continue to maintain our contacts and reach out to and support each other as we go through this together.
Thank you for taking precautions to protect yourself and others. We ask members to follow Public Health recommendations including staying at home if you have symptoms of a cold or flu or otherwise feel unwell. We also ask that you not come into the Centre if your household includes members who have cold or flu-like symptoms. Please note:
- The BC Ministry of Health now requires that anyone returning to Canada self-isolate for 14 days.·
- The B.C. Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry has recommended British Columbia’s call 811 if they have COVID-19 symptoms. The nurses on the phone line will not be able to diagnose people with the virus but will be able to provide essential information.
- ISLAND HEALTH https://www.islandhealth.ca/learn-about-health/diseases-conditions/novel-coronavirus-information
- BC CENTRE FOR DISEASE CONTROL http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/coronavirus-(novel)
- BC OFFICE OF THE PROVINCIAL HEALTH OFFICER https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/current-health-topics
- PUBLIC HEALTH AGENCY OF CANADA https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html
Corona Virus (COVID-19) Update
The CB 55+ Board is monitoring the BC Ministry of Health updates regarding the COVID-19 developments and recommendations. At this time we are not cancelling any of our activities but we will be assessing this daily. Note that regular activities are scheduled to continue over the school spring break. We ask members to follow Ministry of Health recommendations including staying at home if you have symptoms of a cold or flu or otherwise feel unwell. We will keep you informed of any changes.